Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm Sorry

Do you ever have something happen, or maybe you might be reading something and it triggers the memory of a past event that happened in your life? I know that I am not alone in this. I'm sure it's happened to a lot of you reading this.

Many times I read things on Facebook that are happening to people and right away I feel burdened for them because I can relate. It is so painful to be hurt by those you greatly respected. I have situations in my life that I doubt will ever be resolved but not because of me. I have done my part of trying to make amends but the actions of those who I once greatly respected have shown me that Christians can be the hardest people to make amends with. Sad, isn't it? But I have gotten to the place of accepting the fact that it may never happen. But God knows of these troubling times and is always there to teach us great lessons if we are open to receive them. It seems in my life that He always gives me OTHER events in life that end up being a great help in overcoming those disappointing times.

I remember an incident that happened back in 1990 while we were living in Minnesota. My husband was hurt by a man that he greatly respected. This weighed heavily on his heart and I could tell a difference in him. He carried this hurt for a whole year until one day we received a phone call. This man actually called Don to say he was sorry for what had happened and was sorry for hurting him. Wow! It was as if a heavy load was lifted from him. I could tell that healing took place immediately!

MY RESPECT FOR THIS MAN SKYROCKETED! To have someone in the leadership position that this man was in, call and say "I'm sorry", and admit his wrong brought us to respect this man for his humility. A year of hurt healed instantaneously just by hearing those two powerful words, "I'm sorry."

If some people in such positions as this man is in, could only know what those two words, "I'm sorry" could do for someone and even for themselves, they would be willing to say it more often.

Anytime that I hear this man's name, Gerald Grant, this will always be what I remember of him...the day that he was willing to admit his wrong that he did towards someone and was man enough to say, "I'm sorry". He is a man that I will ALWAYS highly respect. He will always be remembered in my heart for that one phone call he made to our home that day.

It is moments like these that happen, that help me overcome the disappointment of others who can't admit their wrongs, because it shows me that there ARE people out there that ARE willing to make things right. It gives me hope.

So anyway, I guess the memory of "my hurtful times that have not been resolved" was triggered but I immediately had this incident that happened for Don come to mind and it made me smile and feel very thankful. I even asked Don, "Do you remember how you felt that day that Bro. Grant called you and said he was sorry that he hurt you? Didn't that make you feel really good inside?" He answered, yes and it was then that I told him, just as I'm telling you now, that THIS my dear friends is the kind of thing that we should all want to be remembered for. This is the kind of thing "I" would want to be remembered for. Never be afraid to admit the wrong you may have done in someone's life. Learn and experience the power of those two words, "I'm Sorry".

Connie J. Schmoll

1 comment:

  1. Connie,
    I do remember this situation & I know how much it hurt Don. It was amazing too in that it had been about a year before Bro Grant apologized so I bet it ate at HIM that whole time too, just as it did Don, until he made it right. It also says alot about your husband, to be willing to forgive.

    Apologies & forgiveness are so essential to the way we feel about ourselves & others! What a wonderful testimony of healing & restoration for all parties involved!

    ReplyDelete