Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Poem: Fallen From Grace



I came to you Lord with a pure heart
Desiring to give You every part
I hungered and thirsted for Your every Word
Willing to do anything for you, Lord.
My heart yearned; I was so unlearned
You tugged at my heart every time I turned
I didn't understand; what went wrong?
Struggle after struggle; it was hard to stay strong
Never measuring up; always beat down
Another rule to follow; I felt so bound
In a religion, no longer a race
I found I had fallen--Fallen From Grace

I thought I had accepted that gift of grace
But found I had fallen; for works took Your place
Grace is freely given, not obtained by what I do
Why didn't I comprehend this? I feel like a fool
My hopes were built on works, I was incapable of performing
The many times I failed, came most without warning
Met with disappointment, every task done for You
Expecting justification in things that I would do
Your cross I thought, I was trying to embrace
But instead I found--I had Fallen From Grace

Consider who it was that hindered you?
Hearkening unto them kept one from obeying the truth
Satan and his instruments caused the fall
They endeavored to overthrow my faith
They obstructed my vision, the truth erased
But seeing the error, I stand fast and free
In the liberty of the cross where Christ died for me
I will never again be entangled or caught
In the web of false teaching
Only by His blood I was bought
I continue steadfast in the truth I once embraced
I found I am no longer--Fallen From Grace.

Connie Schmoll
February 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment