Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Choose Life


I was sitting at my desk one day and logged in to my Facebook account. I began taking one of those silly quizzes that they have on there. Even though I considered their quizzes to be silly, this one in particular, I knew God had used to speak to me. This quiz asked, “What road sign are you?”

After taking the quiz, the result for me was, “fork” - you know, the sign meaning... A fork in the road. And this is what it read:

Fork: You can't go anywhere if you don't make a decision. You question where each road will take you so much that you're not even on the road. You've pulled over on the shoulder as others race past!!

Wow! This spoke directly to my heart. The very situation that I was struggling with at that time and still am, was exactly the result of not making that decision that I know that would change everything for me. I've lived with the fear of making the choice because of past failure. I was tired of failing so instead had chosen to just stay in that dark place of depression.

Although fear was overtaking me, I still so desperately wanted a change. I still hung on to that little spark of hope and knew God was speaking to me and so I decided to do a search on the phrase “fork in the road” and came up with this:

… a fork in the road is a metaphor, based on a literal expression, for a deciding moment in life or history when a major choice of options is required.

… a figure of speech referring to the need to make an important decision.

AGAIN … this spoke to me deep inside and as I kept researching and reading, eventually I was led to a poem and its analysis, which I found very interesting. The poem was written by Robert Frost titled, “The Road Not Taken”.

Robert Frost claims he wrote this poem about his friend Edward Thomas, with whom he had walked many times in the woods near London. Frost said that while walking they would come to different paths and after choosing one, Thomas would always fret wondering what they might have missed by not taking the other path.   Well, at least they had chosen ONE.   Here is Robert Frost's poem.

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth'
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverges in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The analysis of this poem can be taken differently for each individual, but one thing is clear and that is that choice is inevitable (incapable of being avoided) but you never know what your choice will mean until you have lived it.

And if you are a Believer of Christ, then you need not worry about which path you choose but just make sure you choose one, because as God's Word says in Proverbs 19:21, we can have many plans in our heart but it will be God's purpose that will prevail. Don't worry about the path NOT taken, just choose ONE.  No matter the path we choose, GOD will use it to get us to the place He wants us to be to fulfill His purpose for our lives.

As far as my personal situation, there have been many times that I have come to that fork in the road and done nothing because of the fear of failure once again. At this point, I saw that yes, I had left the road completely and pulled off to the side and my life was going no where. So many were passing me by, experiencing that which brought fulfillment to their lives. Me, I felt empty, sitting alone on a deserted road, where an occasional car might drive by and just kept going. No one to help … or would I even accept their help if they even attempted?

There were so many things that I loved doing but couldn't, all because of health issues. I'm limited even now of what I can do. This keeps me from enjoying life with my family, and even fulfilling what God has for me. The sad thing is, I know the answer. I know the road to take, but can't seem to stay on it once I begin.

I don't understand! Where is my strength? Where is my sense of direction? Where is my “want to”? Do I want to die? NO, I want to live. I want my health back! I want to live life to it's fullest! And I want to help others do the same. I want a life worth living.

Help me Lord to understand. Help me Lord to get back on the road. Help me to understand that its not the road you take, its just making that choice to choose ONE. By not choosing any, I will never know what could be. I must choose one! It is my testimony that will make a difference in the lives of others. Where is my testimony, Lord? Where is my “want to”? I must make a choice. I must choose LIFE.

TODAY … at this very moment … I CHOOSE LIFE! 

 (hahaha - sounds like my own personal psalm, doesn't it?)

When times come and you find yourself at that 'fork in the road' where a choice is needed in order to bring a positive change in your life, and you begin to experience fear – fear of making the wrong choice, or fear of failing, so then you neglect to choose at all, the truth is, by you deciding not to choose either road, you've actually made your choice. You've chosen to go nowhere. You've chosen to stay in that deep dark place you've lived in for years – that place that keeps you bound – that place that only leads to death. Do not be afraid – step out and make that choice today. Make that choice that leads to LIFE – that Abundant life promised to you – a life where so many opportunities await you! Get back on that road of opportunity of growth and life that leads to ministry and freedom for you and others.

TODAY … at this very moment … CHOOSE LIFE!

If you are viewing this from email, visit the website to listen to, "Choose Life" by Big Tent Revival


No comments:

Post a Comment